If you are planning either a hysterectomy, a vaginectomy, or both hysterectomy and vaginectomy:
- Follow the above instructions for your initial consult.
- Bring a letter from your counselor in support of your surgery. You may also have the letter faxed to my office ahead of your scheduled appointment.
- After the initial consult and the decision to proceed with surgery, you will be scheduled for a pre-operative appointment in my office. You will see my RN and me to discuss the details of your procedure, preparation for the night before surgery, and what you can expect during your recovery. At this appointment, you will have an opportunity to discuss the details of the surgery and any questions that you may have.
- Please feel free to bring any family or support members to any of your appointments in my office.
- If you smoke, it is best if you can quit before surgery. Smoking can delay your healing time after surgery.
- You may need to stop some of your medications 10-14 days before surgery. If you are traveling from out of town, you may contact Kim, my surgery scheduler, if you have questions or concerns about which medications you need to stop prior to surgery.
- You may contact Kim regarding your travel and hotel needs. We are working with some of the hotels near the surgery center and can help you find a hotel that is convenient for you.
- Do not eat or drink anything for 8 hours before your scheduled surgery time.
- For a hysterectomy, you do not need a bowel prep. If a vaginectomy is to be performed, we will instruct you on a bowel prep at your pre-operative appointment.
If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to leave a comment below! You can also contact Kim, who can be reached by phone at 480-291-6348 or by email.